Planning your Learning
Choosing the right courses will help you get the most out of coming to Fircroft College. We aim to work with you and help you plan a personal programme of learning which will match your:
- Aims and aspirations
- Prior achievements/qualifications (if applicable)
- Starting point
- Capacity to learn, and
- Build an understanding of where to progress for further study or work.
Rather than applying for just one course, or several courses from different programmes, we strongly recommend that you choose one programme area and undertake all or most of those courses before you move on to your next programme area. This will help you to:
- Build up your knowledge in a particular area
- Get support from familiar faces (your tutor and fellow students)
- Take feedback from one course on to the next
- Access on-line resources between courses
- Apply what you learn, then come back and tell us what worked
- Get individual advice on your next steps.
Some people will start with Entry 3 courses and progress in time towards undertaking Level 1 and then Level 2 courses; others will be able to start at Level 2 or even Level 3 from the beginning.
We want to ensure that any learning you undertake at Fircroft is suitable for your current level of ability, and offers the right level of challenge. If you are not sure where to start, there are a number of ways we can help you decide:
- By taking an online assessment of your literacy and numeracy skills
- By attending one of our monthly Open Days.
- By contacting our Information Advice and Guidance Co-ordinator, for a one-to-one appointment on 0121 472 0116.
- By applying for our Gateway to Learning course, which includes an assessment of your current literacy and numeracy skills as part of the course.
For more information on our short course programme please call the short course office on 0121 472 0116, or email email@example.com
Find out how to apply for short courses. Please only apply for courses at Fircroft if you are sure you are able to attend.