Founded in 1909 by George Cadbury Jr, grandson of Cadbury’s co-founder John, Fircroft College of Adult Education is based in his former family home, a beautiful Edwardian building set in six acres of gardens.
It was originally created to provide educational opportunities for some of the most disadvantaged and excluded members of society.
One hundred years on from the birth of Fircroft College, its mission of ‘social justice’ is more relevant than ever. The College runs a number of residential short courses throughout the year, many of which are aimed at students with no or few prior formal qualifications, helping them to improve their skills and confidence, achieve personal and career goals and to reach their true potential. There is also a full time Access to Higher Education programme for students who wish to go on to University.
Fircroft has a wealth of expertise in working closely with voluntary sector organisations to fulfil their purpose and mission. The College runs a number of courses and programmes tailored toward this sector, and is also able to design and deliver bespoke training on a residential or non-residential basis, either at Fircroft or elsewhere..
Ofsted made the following comments about Fircroft College during its last inspection in May 2014. Read the full report here
- “The development of learners’ personal, social and employability skills is outstanding, and is a significant factor in preparing them for further study and for the world of work.”
- “Teachers are dedicated to ensuring their learners succeed and they work tirelessly to transform the lives of every learner. They know their learners very well and provide high levels of individual support. Teachers motivate learners extremely effectively through lively and engaging teaching that enthuses them.”
- “Learners rightly acknowledge and value the work of teachers and residential support staff; they speak positively of the impact that studying at the college has had on their lives and on their peers, family and friends.”
- “The college’s inclusive and supportive ethos for all learners, regardless of their previous background, creates a safe, diverse and inspirational learning environment.”
- “The promotion of equality and diversity is outstanding.”
Please take a look around the site to find out more about Fircroft, or call us on 0121 472 0116.